American found dead in room at same Bahamas resort where three other tourists died in May
An American tourist has been found dead at the same Bahamas resort where three other American tourists died earlier this year.
The man, who has not yet been identified by police, was believed to be in his 70s and was staying at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort on the island of Exuma.
Royal Bahamas Police do not suspect foul play, but an autopsy has been ordered to determine the official cause of death, NBC News reporting.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the man had symptoms related to Covid-19, according to a police spokesperson.
“As a result, he was tested. … He tested positive,” police said in a statement. “Afterwards, he quarantined himself.”
A station spokesperson confirmed the death to Fox News Digital.
“Bahamian authorities do not suspect foul play and the cause appears to be natural,” the spokesperson said. “We would like to express our deepest condolences to the family of the guest and stay in close contact to provide support during this difficult time.”
In May this year, tragedy struck the same resort when three American tourists were found dead in their rooms.
Michael Phillips, 68; Robbie Phillips, 65; and Vincent Chiarella, 64; were all victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Autopsy and toxicology reports revealed the cause of death for all three, reported The Guardian of Nassau.
The Phillips, on vacation from Tennessee, were found dead in their villa at the luxury all-inclusive resort on May 7.
Mr. Chiarella was found dead in the neighboring villa. His wife Donnis was found alive on a bed and rushed to hospital before being flown to Florida for treatment.
The two couples had complained of being unwell the night before and had received medical treatment at different times and eaten at different places before returning to their rooms.
The families of the victims have also asked a private pathologist to carry out separate autopsies.